Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Quiltville Mystery 2011 Orca Bay!

I have decided to join Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt which is called Orca Bay. This will be my first quilt along/mystery quilt that I have done. My goal is to get better at piecing and getting my quarter inch perfected. This seems like the perfect challenge for this!

Step #1 was to gather my fabrics and because I suck at choosing coordinating fabrics, I am using the color palette like Bonnie. Black, neutrals/whites, reds and blues. We cut the blacks and neutrals into 1.5" strips and then paired them up, right sides together and used a Companion Angle Ruler to cut out the blocks. I found that the best way to do this was by using STARCH first! My first blocks came out horrible but the ones using the starch are just perfect.



We have to start with 448 1/2 square triangles



which will become 224 hour glass blocks measuring 2.5 inches. So far, I have 40 made!!



I have 184 more blocks to make and hopefully I will have them done before step 2 comes out!

~Lynn~

6 comments:

  1. Those just look fabulous!! What a great selection of black and whites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you've done so far, your black and whites look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good so far, i love the stripes in the black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ones you have made do look good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made a great start - keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great fabrics!! I am going to join in the mystery and tried to pull some blacks today. Are your lights pretty white? The look really light, not much yellow in them. I'm wondering how important is is to keep a high contrast in these blocks. I guess I'll just start and see what happens. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete