Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Carpenter Star quilt

I purchased the Carpenter Star quilt pattern back in September from Quiltscapes quilting. I am finally getting around to making one! I purchased my fabrics to make a different pattern but found out I did not have nearly enough and would need several more yards. So I changed over to this pattern and will only need to go back for about 1 yard of the dark blue fabric.

I already have all of the pieces cut out with the exception of 10 of the dark blue 10 inch squares. I have also marked the stitching lines on the back to make my half square triangles. I think this quilt is going to go together very quickly which for me is an absolute bonus! I am off to the fabric store for the rest of what I need and back home to sew!


Sunday, November 27, 2011

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt Part 2

I finally completed all of my quarter square triangles for Orca Bay and have started on part 2. So far, I have 6 blocks completely done. I love the way they are turning out but I think I may have cut my fabrics too small. I used 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". Using the ones and inch and under are making me have to use at least 8 fabrics. So it is taking longer to make them then if I had used larger cuts of fabrics. Anyway, here is the photo of the ones I have completed so far. I actually love them!

Half my blocks are done now!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Quiltville Mystery 2011 Orca Bay!

I have decided to join Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt which is called Orca Bay. This will be my first quilt along/mystery quilt that I have done. My goal is to get better at piecing and getting my quarter inch perfected. This seems like the perfect challenge for this!

Step #1 was to gather my fabrics and because I suck at choosing coordinating fabrics, I am using the color palette like Bonnie. Black, neutrals/whites, reds and blues. We cut the blacks and neutrals into 1.5" strips and then paired them up, right sides together and used a Companion Angle Ruler to cut out the blocks. I found that the best way to do this was by using STARCH first! My first blocks came out horrible but the ones using the starch are just perfect.

We have to start with 448 1/2 square triangles

which will become 224 hour glass blocks measuring 2.5 inches. So far, I have 40 made!!

I have 184 more blocks to make and hopefully I will have them done before step 2 comes out!


Thursday, November 17, 2011

My not so Square quilt :(

I think that I would win a ribbon for having the most un-square quilt in the world! I am working on a queen size quilt where normally I will only tackle up to a twin. Well, I now know the reason behind making sure your quilt is perfectly square! I loaded it onto the frame but noticed it was not square so I thought that I could float the top and quilt it anyway. WRONG :( Once I got toward the bottom, there was no quilting out the wrinkles.

So, I decided to take the quilt off the frame, remove the bottom borders and try to reattach with less fabric. This too is proving near impossible.

I have been using my Juki to piece with but now have it on the quilting frame. So, I went back to my bernina 440 QE. However, I noticed that my presser feet do not sit straight on the machine. WTH! I know I did not bump it or drop it or do something that would make it this far off. I tried all my feet and they are all crooked. I called my dealer and they said the bad news is that it is not supposed to be this way. The good news is that they can fix it while I wait. DH is going to come with me so maybe I can convince him I need an upgrade??

On a happier note, I LOVE my JUKI!!!!!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I finally finished a quilt for my son! I think I started this one over a year ago and finished all except for the binding. I put it aside and "forgot about it". I took it out again the other day and am ashamed to say it only took about 1 hour to finish!

I am currently working on a pattern that I purchased from Etsy called Buns over Band Box from LittleLouisequilts. I used fabric from Moda brights jelly roll and a basic black. I love the way it is turning out so far and can't wait to get it onto the quilting frame.

I have the two outer borders left to put on and then piece a backing together. This one I started at the end of May and hopefully will have finished by the end of this month.