Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trying to make a Dancer Skirt

Is it just me? or are there others out there who have a love hate relationship with their seam ripper? No matter how hard I try, I just cannot seem to get through a project without using my seam ripper.


I have been admiring all of the wonderful Dancer skirts over on Sew Forum so I thought I would give the pattern a whirl. I purchased it from Youcanmakethis.com, got my fabric all picked out, printed the pattern pieces, got them all cut out and I am ready to go! Or not :(

First issue I am having is with the shorts. I cut out two pieces of the pattern and stitched up the side seams. Then you are supposed to match up the seams and sew the crotch together. Well, my crotch area does not match up at all. It is like an inch off. I made sure that I printed the pattern correctly and I think I cut it out correctly but nope, still don't match up. So, i put those off to the side and set off to work on the skirt.

I cut out two pieces for the top part of the skirt and two pieces for the bottom part of the skirt. The pattern calls for me to gather the short piece and attach to the waist band and then gather the second part and attach. Well I obviously cannot read directions very well and I attached both pieces together first and then gathered and am now at the point of attaching them to the waist band. Hopefully it will still work because I did not follow directions.
This is what I have so far. I still have to try and figure out how to do the shorts and then sew the waistband. I think it is adorable but I much prefer the patterns that have the step by step directions with real pictures showing you how to do each step.

Anyway, My point of the post is to point out the fact that I am constantly using my seam ripper and cannot get through a project without it. I know I can't possibly be the only one out there who does this am I?

~Lynn~

No comments:

Post a Comment